Confederate States Navy Research Center, Mobile, Alabama,
                                                 Confederate Navy Small Arms

Nomenclature:  British made muskets have 39 inch barrels and rifles (aka rifle-muskets) have 33 inch barrels.
Carbines were the official shoulder arms of the CS Navy. Among the makes listed were:
London Armoury, Maynard and the Whitney-Enfield short rifle was also used.

The 2 band Enfield rifle (aka Model of 1858 sea service rifle)(aka short Enfield)
London Armoury was one of the main contract makers. Also were Birmingham Small Arms (BSA) & others.
Notice the bayonet lug on the right side of the barrel used for the sword-bayonet and cutlass-bayonet.
These were .577 caliber and one of the most accurate arms, even with the shorter barrel than the musket.
Known use were on the CSS TENNESSEE in the Battle of Mobile Bay and on the CSS FLORIDA.
The 1st Model Maynard rifle (carbine) was popular (caliber 50)
It is identified by the roundish buttplate with patchbox. Known use were 30 captured on the CSS ATLANTA
Also used on the CSS TENNESSEE in Mobile Bay were Springfields (probably 1855 model)(caliber 58)
40 were captured along with 40--2 band Enfields
Short Whitney-Enfield Rifle (caliber 58)
10 of these were captured on the CSS RESOLUTE. Maryland bought many of these that went South. Also the states of Georgia and Mississippi bought them in 1860-61. These resemble the regular Enfields that were imported from England.
Revolvers and Pistols
Nomenclature:  Pistols were originally single shots before the invention of revolvers, which term usually distinguishes between the two. However in common usage both are used interchangeably then and now.
The standard official caliber of the CSN was .44 for revolvers----not navy caliber of .36 as used by the north.
Only CSN Officers and members of boarding parties who were issued them at the time carried handguns.
The LeMat Revolver (aka Grapeshot revolver)(aka 10 shooters)
1st Model------------------------------------------2nd Model
These were made in France, Belguim and England. They had 9 shot, .42 caliber cylinders, and a 63 caliber shotgun barrel which was located under the regular barrel and also acted as the cylinder pin upon which the cylinder rotated.
Most all LeMats were paid for by the CS Navy and many were in use by the Navy. Those that weren't were transferred to the Army and Cavalry where they are more popularly known. The reproductions have model names that are incorrect with historical usage. The proper models are 1st Model (spur on trigger guard and rammer on right side) and 2nd Model ( rammer moved to the left side and spur has been removed from the trigger guard). Also the firing pin was changed. All of the final production was inspected by Confederate Navy officer Lt. Wm. Murdaugh and bear his inspection marking of 'M'.
The CSS FLORIDA used 1st Models for boarding captured ships and was the first crew to have them.
Other ships usually had a few. A total of 5,000 were ordered but not over 3,000 were shipped. None were used by the north.
The London Armoury (Kerr) Revolver (44 caliber)
Large shipments of these were brought over by blockade runners and was the most widely used revolver. 5 shot cylinders.
Most people have never heard of it even though around 7,000 of these were bought by the South. (none by the north)
This was considered one of the finest made and finished revolvers in the world and was better than Colt in terms of quality.
It's back action lock was used so that almost any gunsmith could work on it, as simplicity was the key.
The Adams and Beaumont-Adams Revolver (44 caliber)
The Adams was without a hammer spur and double action only. Beaumont's patent added a hammer spur and single action.
They were made by London Armoury and Robert Adams Company in England and had 5 shot cylinders.
These were popular with CSN officers. Many are in museums to testify to that fact.
The French LaFaucheux and Belguim 12mm (44 caliber) Pinfire Revolvers
These were much more common than most people know. This was one of the first cartridge revolvers made. Instead of a central primer in the rear of the cartridge, they had a post protruding out the side at the rim in which the hammer struck thereby igniting the load. The Selma Arsenal made cartridges for them, showing how widespread they were in use.
The 1860 Colt's New Army (44 caliber) Revolver
This really surprises many folks. Raphael Semmes was sent north to buy as many of these as he could early in the war.
From the pen of Jefferson Davis:  "Even before I had selected the members of the provisional cabinet, or engaged a private secretary, or had any clerical assistance whatever, one of my first acts as Provisional President, at Montgomery, was to commission Captain  Raphael Semmes to proceed north and purchase all the arms, ammunition, and other munitions of war, and the machinery for making them, that he could buy and have delivered."
They were shipped to San Antonio, New Orleans, Richmond, Charleston, Georgia and Natchez.
Many of the early first production were in use by the CS Navy and are in museums today as a testimony.
Return to the:---- Weapons page-----Home page-----Gravesites page-----Assorted Topics page---What's New?
Copyright 2000-2001, John E. Ellis,